Chickpeas Nutrition Facts
Chickpeas nutrition .. Low in fat, high in fibre, high in protein and minerals, low in glycemic index with a buttery texture and a great nutty taste..
Very versatile and a great ingredient in many exotic eastern dishes…
Chickpeas Interesting Facts:
• Chickpeas were first found in Cayönü, Turkey and in Neolithic pottery at Hacilar, Turkey.
• Biggest chickpea producers are India, Pakistan, Turkey and Australia.
• The chickpea plant grows to between 20 and 50 cm high and has small feathery leaves on either side of the stem.
• Chickpeas need a subtropical or tropical climate with more than 400 millimetres of annual rain. They can be grown in a temperate climate but yields will be much lower.
• In history, they were noted for being less windy than peas and more nourishing and were said to offer medical uses such as increasing sperm and milk and helping to treat kidney stones.
Chickpeas Nutrition and Health Benefits:
• Chickpeas- garbanzo beans are a good source of folic acid, manganese, iron, copper, magnesium and molybendum.
• Molybendum is a mineral for body’s mechanism to detoxify sulfites- a preservative found in wine, meats and salad in salad bars. Sulfite-sensitive individuals may experience headaches, confusion and a racing heartbeat.
• High Fiber and Low GI content of chickpeas prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal.
• Dietary fiber prevents constipation and digestive disorders.
• They provide fat free and high quality protein.
• Manganese is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes in energy production and antioxidant defences.
• Chickpeas and other type of legumes are linked to a great reduction in risk of heart disease.
• They can increase your energy by helping to replenish iron stores. Garbanzos are low in calories and fat free unlike red meat- another source of iron.
Chickpeas Glycemic Index:
Being low in glycemic index value and high in dietary fiber, garbanzos- chickpeas are digested very slowly. They help maintain blood sugar levels stable and glucose metabolism healthier. If you eat more of chickpeas and beans or legumes, you will also reduce the effect of high glycemic index foods by lowering the overall GI value.
Ensminger AH, Esminger M. K. J. e. al. Food for Health: A Nutrition Encyclopedia. Clovis, California: Pegus Press; 1986 1986. PMID:15210.
Wood, Rebecca. The Whole Foods Encyclopedia. New York, NY: Prentice-Hall Press; 1988 1988. PMID:15220.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas : Murray, Michael N.D.. The Encyclopedia Of Healing Foods, New York: Atria Books, 2005.
Centers For Disease Control And Prevention-5 A Day. http://www.cdc.gov/ nccdphp/dnpa/ 5aday/.