Coconut Health Benefits.. Coconut and the juice it contains is the latest trend at the health stores, even with some big celebrity fans but is it really good for your health?
1. It is rich in iron.. Coconut fruit is packed with nutrients such as iron. One hundred grams of coconut provides 3.4 mg of iron. If you drink coconut milk (450 calories per cup), you end up getting an even greater amount. Iron in this plant food is less well absorbed by the body than iron from animal foods, but you can maximize absorption by consuming it with citrus sources of vitamin C.
2. It helps with digestion.. The dried flesh of the coconut is rich in fatty acids. 90 % of the nut is composed of saturated fatty acids. They are more saturated than butter or red meat. Even if saturated fat is not recommended for people with high cholesterol or other cardiovascular problems, fatty acids have still a great quality: They are easily digestible, which is great for intestinal transit!
3. It is an acceptable energy drink.. If you exercise moderately regularly, drinking coconut juice after your workout may be sufficient. But it is not advised for more strenuous activity. Why? During training, you lose a lot of sodium and potassium with perspiration. After an intense session of sweating, you should replace these lost amounts.
4. It helps relieve a hangover.. We all know that alcohol dehydrates you and causes an unpleasant and terrible nausea and headache. Coconut juice (with less than 50 calories per cup) rehydrates the body as any drink. If you like the taste, drink it, but you will save calories and money by preferring tap water.
5. It gives a feeling of satiety.. Coconut contains a high amount of dietary fiber, which makes it ideal to prevent constipation, but also to fill the appetite. When you are next feeling hungry, think coconut: A refreshing and exotic snack that will almost take you to a tropical beach.